IIcx system puzzle
Posted on 1997-03-30
Machine: Mac IIcx (8meg RAM - 120 MB Hd)
Originally running System 6.0.7
I get the following message on the screen when starting up (no matter what diskette is inserted e.g. system startup, utilities, install me first etc.):
Message text: This startup disk was created with "Minimal software and will not work on this Macintosh model. Use the Installer to update this disk for this model.
Background: I work extensively with PCs. Familiar with some Mac basics. I got used a Mac IICX for my daughter and it was working ok. It was working with System version 6.0.7. I had problems installing some kid's software (would not install several titles.) I thought perhaps I needed a
later system software though the software specs said I was ok with what I had. Here's what I (stupidly) did:
1) I copied system version 7.0 folder into a temp folder on the HD.
2) I open the system 6 folder and moved the finder to a new folder inside the system folder and named it storage.
3) I then closed the system 6 folder and renamed it holder. (oh-oh!)
4) I then renamed the temp folder with system 7 to system folder. Restarted with message above.
5) Have tried booting from floppy drive by using HD bypass keys but after 10 seconds of the Happy Mac face the system kicks out to the HD boot sequence.
I went so far as to physically disconnect the HD to boot from a floppy but it would not boot..
I have tried numerous diskettes booting from the 3.5 inch drive and nothing changes. I do not have a system disk (install me first) that came with the Mac II but I do have a complete set from a Quadra 660 w/ system 6.
Help me please!