I'm new to linux, and have run into a dead end trying to install my SMC
etherpower card (pci), I have been using the "Linux and the DEC Chip"
walk-through,from the "Linux How TO" I have 1.2.13 installed, and I boot
from a floppy to my 'hdb' partition.. I have an IBM P166+ CPU
I don't have the file /usr/src/linux/version.h , and when I try to create
it using the command
cd /usr/src/linux; make include/linux/version.h
-I get an error message "dnsdomainname = unknown server error"
When I tried to install the module using the " insmod " command I get
the following message "kernel_version_needed, but can't be found"
Can someone tell me How they got past this?
The printed walk-through steps are as follows:
- Verify that the source code for your current kernel version is installed
( I'm not too sure how to do this)
- If you don't hvae a /usr/src/linux/version.h file, do cd/usr/src/linux;
- copy the driver source code to a source directory. I usually use
( I had to create this directory)
- Compile the fule using the compile-command at the bottom of the tulip.c
(this compile command is about 70 characters long!)
- As 'root',load the module using "insmod tulip.o". You should first test
this by hand ....bla bla bla
Thanks for any help,