I am having trouble getting chat and pppd to work properly using the
Motorola Bitsurfer TA. The same configuration works fine with an
analog modem. When I change the /etc/ppp/options file to use the
new modem with the Bitsurfer TA PPP initialization string, it doesn't
work. I am using kernel 2.1.35 and pppd 2.2.0f. The initialization
string I'm using is AT&F&C1&D2S0=0%A2=95 (from the Bitsurfer manual).
The problem seems to be that the dial string is not being sent properly.
It sends TD8660091 instead of ATD8660091, which causes a failure. The
output form /var/adm/messages is:
pppd: pppd 2.2.0 started by root, uid 0
chat: abort on (BUSY)
chat: abort on (NO CARRIER)
chat: send (AT&F&C1&D2S0=0%A2=95^M)
chat: expect (OK)
chat: OK -- got it
chat: send (ATD8660091^M)
chat: expect (Username:(login:))
I've tried using AATD8660091 for the dial string. This shows up in the
/var/adm/messages file as ATD8660091, but it still fails. If anyone has
gotten a Bitsurfer TA working under Linux, I'd love to know how you got
it to work.