Dial-Up vs. Trumpet: very low transfer speed
Posted on 1997-05-13
I used to have a 486 with Win 3.11 and a 14400 USR modem. To connect with the outside world I used Trumpet Winsock software which I got from my University. It worked fine. Then I made a massive upgrade to a Pentium and installed Win95+. I kept the old dial-up software (Trumpet) but also
installed a new package called Inet 2.0 (again provided by the University) which worked using Win95 Dialup. Although I was told that Trumpet was not supposed to work under Win95 it still worked great. However, when I started using Inet with Dial-Up I found that although dialup says that it connects at 12000, it works painfully slowly when I use Netscape or when I download files to my comp using FTP. Transfer speeds are around 500 Bps. I played with the baud rate setting, network parameters and other stuff and reinstalled both Dial-Up and Inet but nothing seems to help. BTW, both "software compression" and "IP header compression" were checked but that did not change anything.