Although I have quite a bit of experience programming, all of my apps thus far have been database apps. You learn the confines and the constructs and go with it. I am currently writing an app that calls for "manual" file handling and I would like some pointers from those who have "been there, done that"
Fixed length "Customer Information Record"
Multiple, variable length string identifiers related to a customer
The fixed length customer record sounds easy enough, random file, record structures, etc..
It is the other side that I would like some direction...
- Do I store the multiple strings in the same physical file?
- If so, how? what about updates? when the string grows?stability?
- Do I reference a customer # tag in my string structure?
- Should I implement a pointer type system to point to next/prev string? Or is the maintenance of these pointers prohibitive?
- Should I store the strings in a seperate "detail" file?
- Should I use files, or FileStreams?
- If I use FileStreams, could/should I use TStringList stream methods?
- What about performance?
Sheesh, that's a lotta questions. You'd think I was a newbie or something. Anyways...
TIA to everyone's(anyone's) help..