Need software to base chat/messaging on Unix server
Posted on 1997-06-22
I am looking for chat software and also message board software for a Sun unix server run by my ISP. The following things are necessary:
1. The software work on a unix server.
2. The software _not_ require downloading of a plug-in or helper (since I'm trying to appeal to the broadest possible group, including newbies too lazy or inept to download and install things).
3. For that reason, that the chat software _not_ be IRC.
4. That the software be usable by older browsers, such as pre-3.0 Netscape and even Lynx if that is possible.
5. That the software provide a way to identify and exclude persons misusing either the chat area or the message area.
This is for a low-budget quasi-educational web site. While freeware or shareware is obviously better, I can afford reasonably-priced commercial software, too.
Many thanks in advance.