• Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 177
  • Last Modified:

Dial Up Network Server

I am attempting to create a dial up server with Windows '95 using the Dial Up Network Server applet in the Windows '95 Plus! pack. Every time a client attempts to connect to my server, the modem on the server picks up, goes through the handshaking routine, and eventually reports that a compatible protocol could not be negotiated and hangs up. I have tried to establish the connection using two different computers as clients(both systems using Windows '95 dial up networking) and the result is the same. In an effort to solve the porblem, I have tried the following:

I have tried both applicable server settings; "PPP:Windows 95,Windows NT 3.5,internet" and "Default."

I have verified that Client for Microsoft Networks is installed on both systems(client and server) and I have removed and reinstalled the client in case the original was damaged in some way.

I have verified that both systems(server and client) have IPX/SPX, NetBEUI, and TCP/IP protocols installed and have removed and reinstalled these protocols in case the original was damaged in some way. I have verified that the aforementioned protocols are bound to the dial-up adapter on both systems(server and client.)

I have tried using IPX/SPX, NetBEUI, and TCP/IP each independently of the other two on both the client and server.

I have set the dial up networking client to talk to a "PPP:Windows 95,Windows NT 3.5,internet" server. I have also tried setting it to every other possible server type to waste a few hours.

I have verified that the systems(server and client) share a common workgroup name and have proper computer names on the "Identification" tab in network properties.

I have verifed that file and printer sharing is enabled on the server and have removed and reinstalled it in case it was damaged.

I have consulted the MicroSoft Knowledge base for additional requirements.

I have offered knowledgeable aquaintances pizza and beer for recomendations.

Details of my environment are as follows:

The system intended to be a dial up network server is a standard Pentium based PC running Windows '95, 24M RAM. The dial up adapter in the server is a US Robotics 33.6 data/fax/voice modem. The server has one local client connected to it via standard network adapters using a cross-over twisted pair cable.

Both of the PCs I have attempted to use as dial-up clients are Pentium based PCs running Windows '95. One of the clients was using a US Robotics 28.8 data/fax modem as the dial-up adapter, the other was using a Compaq modem.

If anyone is still with me at this point, I could really use some help. Please post recommendations, solutions, related success/failure stories, information about other dial up server applications, or sympathy to the newsgroup, or mail to chenault@concentric.net


Thanks,

Thomas Chenault
0
thomasc070597
Asked:
thomasc070597
1 Solution
 
j2Commented:
I think the problem might be that the puters have different versions of the protocolls.. Open a DOS window and TYpe "ver". If the last digits (most commonly 950 or 1111) differs between the machines, that might very well be the problem. In that case: Upgrade the 950 machines to 1111 (which isnt a easy task to do)
0

Featured Post

Free Tool: Port Scanner

Check which ports are open to the outside world. Helps make sure that your firewall rules are working as intended.

One of a set of tools we are providing to everyone as a way of saying thank you for being a part of the community.

Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now