I'm having very bad troubles with the installation of red hat linux 4.1
I used the boot disk and the CD to install everything and it went fine,
but only the creation of a bootdisk didn't work. It asked me where to put
lilo, and then it said "error". So I booted linux with the bootdisk with
"rescue" and tried to create a bootdisk by typing the folowing:
* mount -t ext2 /dev/sda4 /mnt
* fdformat /mnt/dev/fd0H1440
* mkfs.minix /mnt/dev/fd0 1440
* mkdir /flop
* mount /mnt/dev/fd0 /flop --> didn't work -> "invalid argument"
* mount -t ext2 /mnt/dev/fd0 /flop --> didn't work eather -> "invalid argument"
* * cp -p /mnt/boot/chain.b /flop --> couldn't do that !
* lilo -C /mnt/etc/lilo.conf -U /mnt/dev/fd0
--> "boot sector of /mnt/dev/fd0 does not have a boot signature"
While trying this, someway the devices fd0 and fd0h1440 disappeared.
My question is of course: how do I restore these devices and how do I boot
I have a 486 DX2/66 with 8MB of RAM and an Adaptec scsi card with a scsi
6x cdrom drive and a harddisk of 3GB with 1 primary partition of 1Gb,
1 extended partition of 1,7 GB (divided in 5 logical partitions) and 1 last
extended partition of 300MB where I'd like to install Linux.
Thank you very much, and sorry for my bad English,
Leuven, Belgium, Europe