"Slow network connection detected"
Posted on 1997-08-05
We ordered a NT4 Server and (of course) it was backordered, we then installed a demo (NFR) version of NT Server and everything worked fine untill the day we installed our "real" Server software, when we did this we got the following problems:
When we logon to our NT4(SP3) Server from a NT4 WS we get the message: "Slow network connection detected, would you like to download your profile or use your localy stored?" (That´s because we got our profiles stored on the server).
The problem is: Why is the network connection slow?
After downloading your profile you can work but file transferes seems a little bit slower than before.
If you try to map a shared folder on the server from a Win 3.11 machine you will find out that sometimes you can access the files without problems and the next time you can´t see them at all. They shows up in periods...
These are the things I´ve tried to solve the problem:
1. I used a 1 meter cable between the server and a workstation (with no other computers involved), just to see if the problem was caused by a cable length problem.
2. I´ve replaced all the hardware.
3. Right now we have two NIC´s installed in the server, I have tried with just one.
4. I´ve removed all protocools and added one by one.
5. I´ve reinstalled NT two times, even from scratch.
Here´s some information about our server:
Pentium 133 Mhz
96 MB RAM
One 2.1 GB and two 4 GB all SCSI-Wide
Two 3ComIII Combo ISA
ATI Graphic adapter
I would be very greatful if someone could solve our major problem. We have tried for about two weeks now.
Consat Engineering AB