Apps Won't release serial Port
Posted on 1997-08-12
I have the following problem with a PowerBook 5300c computer. The
Powerbook 5300 is hooked up to a BIOPAC Systems MP100 data acquistion
system. BIOPAC gave me software (Acknowledge 3.2) to communicate with
the MP100 data acquistion system. The I/O for the MP100 system goes thru
the PowerBook's single serial port. The MP100 needs the serial port for
data transfer and setup.
Another system, an ATI Force/Torque gauge (F/T gauge), also needs the
serial port for setup and checkout. I am communicating with the F/T
gauge via Versaterm Pro Version 5.0.6. The reason for this is the (F/T
gauge) needs to to zeroed and set up prior to use.
Currently I am using a manual switchbox to change between the F/T
gauge and the MP100 data acquistion system. I do the following:
(1) Turn everything on,
(2) Launch Versaterm Pro,
(3) Set the manual switchbox to talk to the F/T gauge,
(4) Send the commands to the F/T gauge with Versaterm Pro,
(5) Quit Versaterm Pro,
(6) Set the manual switchbox to talk to the MP100 data acquistion
(7) Launch Acknowledge 3.2,
(8) Collect data with the MP100 data acquistion system
Unfortunately the F/T gauge requires constant zeroing and other
operations. So I do this:
(1) Leave Acknowledge 3.2 active (i.e. don't quite Acknowledge 3.2),
(2) Set the manual switchbox to talk to the F/T gauge,
(3) Launch Versaterm Pro,
(4) Send the commands to the F/T gauge with VersaTerm Pro.
When I try (4) above, I get an error dialog stating that the serial
port is in use by another application. In order to proceed, I have to
quit Acknowledge 3.2. After that, I can talk to the F/T gauge.
The Acknowledge 3.2 documentation contains nothing on how to make
Acknowledge 3.2 release the serial port.
How do I solve this prob?