Could you please help me with the following problem:
I am running kernel 2.0.29 SMP on a dual PPro 200 machine
- Dual Pentium Pro TYAN S1662D 440FX PCI-ISA motherbord
- two PPro 200 MHz Stepping 7 processors with 512Mb cache each
- 128 Mb RAM
- ADAPTEC AHA 2940 UW SCSI controler (bios v.1.23)
- Diamond Stealth 64 (Series 2000) DRAM with 2Mb mem
graphic card (S3 Trio 64)
- 3Com 3C590-Combo-PCI EtherLink III PCI ethernet card
After I'd set up an NFS with another Linux box (in which the machines are both clients and servers) and started to run long, CPU and disk intensve jobs (I guess the problem is related to this and NFS, becuase it had not been happening before), the network connection on the machine started to break occasionally. In /var/adm/syslog the kernel writes:
Aug 15 05:58:14 mbar kernel: eth0: Infinite loop in interrupt, status e011. Disabling functions (78ee).
and the network connection is gone. When I reboot, everything gets back to normal (at least until the whole thing happens again a few days later).
Any idea what could be causing the problem? Is there a way to get eth0 back on line (restart, reset, ??) without rebooting? (I hate to do this, and kill all the running jobs, particularly when some of them are not mine).