I have just installed NT 4.0 Workstation and NT 4.0 Server on my computer. The computer is an old 486 running at 66MHZ ,has two physical hard drives, a CD-Rom and a Sound card. The workstation boots clean with virtually no messages in the event log. (other than some forced election on the network or something) The server on the other hand boots with the following messages in the event log:
1. "User configuration data for parameter COM2 overriding firmware configuration data."
2. "A conflict has been detected between two drivers which claimed two overlapping IO port regions. Driver serial with device <\Device\Serial1001.Translated>, claimed an IO port range with starting address in data address 0x28 and 0x2c and length in data address 0x30."
3. same as #2 except between Driver Sermouse and device <\Device\PointerPort0.Translated>.
4. "The hardware resources for Com1 are already in use by another device."
I determined that the multi IO card in my computer has preset COM2 at address 3E8 (which I beleive is not standard)so I went into NT and changed the address of COM2 to 3E8 from the default. NT dropped the first message above and the first two messages now are:
1. "The control registers for COM2 overlaps with the COM2 control registers."
2. "While validating that COM2 was really a serial port, the contents of the divisor latch register was identical to the interupt enable and the receive registers. The device is assumed not to be a serial port and will be deleted."
I have not installed service pack 3 yet for Server.
The workstation COM2 remains set at "default" and does not report any event log at bootup.
My resources from diagnostics are as follows:
Resource IO Address
i8042prt 0060-0060, 0064-0064
Floppy 03F0-03F5, 03F7-03F7
Atdisk 01F0-01F7, 03F6-03F6
cirrus 03B0-03BB, 03C0-03DF
What looks odd to me here is the sermouse. Isn't the mouse using i8042prt. Is NT thinking that sermouse is another mouse?? Your comments to solve this would be appreciated.