I work in an office where the computer network consists of approximately 200 PC's running Windows 95 and a server running Windows NT 4.0, utilizing TCP/IP over an 10BaseT Ethernet network. There is a small group of Mac users who have connected to this network via one of two means. The PowerMac 7100, which has built-in Ethernet, connects directly to the network, while the other machines (a Powerbook 180c, a Classic and two SE's) which do not have built-in Ethernet, are daisy chained to a Farallon Multi-Printer Adapter to convert LocalTalk to Ethernet, which is then connected to the network.
All computers are able to mount the various server volumes using AppleShare, and are able to read and write to the permitted volumes. EtherTalk has been "turned on" on all the printers (HP LaserJet 4MV's) the Macs typically print to.
The problems are as follows:
• Large network traffic causes processing pauses on all Macs. I assume this is due to the fact that the mounted volumes are being updated. Is there any way to reduce or eliminate these pauses?
• Printing speed is significantly slower from any Mac than from any PC. I attribute this to the use of AppleTalk vs the TCP/IP protocol, or maybe PostScript vs the HP PCL5 language. Is there any way to improve print speed?
• Mac print jobs do not queue properly with PC print jobs, rather they slip within PC jobs, i.e., a Mac print job might print between sheets 3 and 4 of a PC print job already in the queue. This really upsets the PC users! Is there any way that this can be corrected?
• Remote access to the network is desired from personal Macintoshes at home. What hardware and/or software is recommended to achieve this connection.
• PC usage is monitored for billing purposes through custom software. Is there any software available that would afford this functionality to Macs? Please note the Classic and SE's run System 6.0.8.
Thursby Software makes a networking software product called "DAVE", which claims an improvement over AppleShare. Would this program resolve any of the above noted problems?