Windows 95 Start-up Error
Posted on 1997-11-17
While trying to install 56K drivers for my Aptiva Lucent modem, something went wrong.
1. I used the IBM Update Connector to download a group of patches, inluding the drivers, an updated rmm.pdr file to fix an I/O subsystem problem, and several small patches to some IBM software.
2. All the other patches loaded fine and I then loaded the new drivers. I was then instructed to restart to the computer.
3. However, the computer now hangs everytime during the Win95 loading. The Windows logo comes on the screen, the hard drive churns for a while, and the it just stops.
4. It will load in Windows 95 Safe Mode, but now there isn't a Lucent modem listed anymore.
I tried doing step-by-step confirmation, disabling the load= and run= statements in win.ini, even disabling the modem and sound drivers.
Here's the fun part - IBM says that I can uninstall any the updates it had me run, but the Uninstaller was upgraded to a new Java version which can only run in 256 color mode, but safe mode only supports 16 colors!
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
1. How do I get 256 colors in safe mode?
2. How do I get a list of drivers that Windows is trying to load and disable them one by one?
3. Should I switch back to the previous rmm.pdr version?
4. Anything else that will prevent me from having to reinstall Win95?