Making a program in modules
Posted on 1998-01-27
I don't know how this is called or if it even exists, but I want to know for sure. This is what I want to accomplish :
- I wrote a program that collects data and sends it to a remote computer.
- In the future it's possible that other programs have to be written to collect other data, but have to be send to the same computer.
- All the programs, will use the same sending protocol, the same input (serial port & keyboard) etc. The only difference will be the layout and the interpretation of the collected data. The data is stored to a file.
- What I want to make (in the future) is : a program, which is capable of getting the data from the serial port and sending a file to a remote computer. Next to this, I want to make different modules. These modules display the data in there own way. (Get the serial data input from the main program, send the be sended file to the main program).
- BUT! Not all computers need all modules. Sometimes, after a few months, years, the computer need a module, or new written modules become available. So these modules have to be linked to the main program in some way, without recompiling the main program for every different computer.
What I mean with this is, that a site buys a module. And this module can be put into the main program by a way of installing. It even can be removed (updated version of a module).
I know this is a lot to read, but is it possible, is it already archieved? Does there exists information of. Has somebody done this already? Can somebody just give me some clues?
I know it aren't much points, but they can raise depending on the comments or answers.
PLEASE : for this question, give comments!