Go Premium for a chance to win a PS4. Enter to Win

x
  • Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 334
  • Last Modified:

Common Controls license problem

   Hi there!

   I have just instaled VB5 at home, in Win NT 4 (Service Pack 3), and when I try to paste the Windows common controls in any project (even an empty one), it gives me this error:
     "License information for this component not found. You do not have an appropiate license to use this functionality in the design enviroment."

I have also installed Visual Studio Service Pack 3, indeed Windows common controls are SP2.
I have installed the same VB5 at work in the same circumstances (NT4 withSP3, and VB's SP3) and works perfectly. The COMCTL32.OCX, .OCA and .LIB are the same at home and at work
   Can anybody help me? Thanks!
0
taco
Asked:
taco
  • 2
1 Solution
 
zsiCommented:
I had this same problem, also under NT4-SP3.  I think the way that I fixed it was to go to Microsoft's site and download the new Common Control distribution pack.  You can find it at http://www.microsoft.com/msdn/downloads/files/40comupd.htm

I think that this might solve your problem.  I am not sure that this problem is caused by Visual Studio SP3, but I had not experienced it before hand.

Hope this helps!
zsi
0
 
tacoAuthor Commented:
 I have tried that, but with no results. I also have the same problem with SS TAB control.
I have even re-installed entire VB, and it did the same.

Thanks, zsi, anyway.
0
 
naveediCommented:
I have run into this problem many times. The problem normally stems from having differing versions of VisualBasic and the ComCtl32.ocx installed. The best solution is to insure that you install the version of VisualBasic on the target machine that contains the ComCtl32.ocx version you require. This will guarantee you have the proper license info register. If it is a machine that you do frequent uninstalls and reinstalls of VB, like a test machine, you are likely to run into this problem often. The expedient solution is to go to the machine it works on, export all the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Licenses to a .REG file. Import that file on to the target machine. If you know the license key you need than you could export just that key instead of the whole Licenses section. This should do it. BTW this approach will fix the SSTABCTL.OCX problem as well.
0
 
tacoAuthor Commented:
Thank you, naveedi.

   Coying the Licence section did solve the problem. :-)

0

Featured Post

Technology Partners: We Want Your Opinion!

We value your feedback.

Take our survey and automatically be enter to win anyone of the following:
Yeti Cooler, Amazon eGift Card, and Movie eGift Card!

  • 2
Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now