Adding a modem to a Compaq Presario
Posted on 1998-05-14
I'm trying to upgrade a friend's modem in his Compaq Presario 7180 computer. Compaq has the following to say about adding a modem:
"Compaq does not offer upgrades for the Presario modems. If you decide to
replace your existing modem with a 3rd party modem, you will loose
mediapilot functionality. The mediapilot software is designed to work with the
Compaq modem. You can have a 2nd modem existing with you original
The second modem will use the Serial Port’s resources (COM1). If you
install an internal modem, the serial port’s resources need to be disabled
(see following instructions). Depending on the type of modem (internal or
external), use the following instructions to add a second modem:
1) Turn on the computer, it will perform a memory check.
2) Right after the computer beeps you will see 'Press to enter SETUP' at the
bottom of the screen.
3) Press the DELETE key to enter setup.
4) After the setup screen appears, use the arrow down key to highlight
'Advanced System Setup'. Hit enter.
5) Integrated Peripherals should be highlighted. Hit enter.
6) The settings for COM Port should be highlighted. Hit the Page Down key
until the word DISABLED appears.
7) Press the ESC key to exit.
8) Press F10 to save and exit setup. You will get a warnings stating that the
configurations have not been save. Press the left arrow key to highlight yes
in order to save before exiting.
9) Exit and Reboot the computer.
10) Configure your new modem as COM1
11) Shut off and install the new modem.
12) Have the line coming from the wall plug into the WALL JACK on the
13) A short phone cord connected to the PHONE JACK on the Compaq
modem will connect to the WALL JACK on the new modem.
14) The Handset should plug into the PHONE JACK on the new modem.
15) Now you will use your new modem to dial out to online services on
16) Your Compaq modem will answer your phone calls and receive faxes on
I have done all the above but still no luck. I don't understand how the computer will dial out on the new modem when the old 14,400 modem is the one the main phone line is going to. I tried dialing into his AOL account and each time it says, "Connecting at 14400". Does anyone have any suggestions I could try to make this new modem work? Is there something I'm not configuring in Windows 95? Thank you.