I am looking at a friends computer for him. He said the modem stopped working the other day. I do not know if this is in fact the cause of the problem but we had a very bad electrical storm that day. The modem was plugged into the phone line the entire time while he was at work and this occured. But anyway, this is what I know:
1) We did have an electrical storm.
2) The modem looks physically ok.
3) The Windows diagnostics does recognize the modem and runs the diagnostics on it with no problems.
4) If I plug a phone into the modem - I do indeed get a dial tone.
5) The error message just constantly says there is no dial tone when we try to get on the internet with it.
6) After I have attempted to connect with the ISP, and if I haven't rebooted the computer, When I go back to diagnostics - and try to run the diagnostics, I will get an error that says the port is already open.
Could you please give me some advice (your opinion) of what could be wrong, and what I should look for or check.