The intent of the project was to offer to web users for a membership fee the possiblity
to customize their own site. Few customization features were being offered:
Background selection, main picture selection among 7, Personnal Header selection,
selection of one or more of the 14 database pictures collection available.
The project has been developped using Internet Database Connector (IDC/HTX) as well as
MS ACCESS 97 for the database application.
The project intended purposes was to generate dynamic content to multiple web users.
The project is web-based and is suppose to handle massive web traffic and multiple Webuser queries.
The project was supposed to run on a NT server using IIS 3.0 as well as the appropriate ODBC
We already consulted several microsoft experts and would like external expert opinions.
We would very much appreciate your help on that matter.
Here are the facts and statements that we would need confirmation on.
- MS ACCESS IS NOT BUILT FOR INTERNET APPLICATIONS USING EXTENSIVE AND
SIMULTANEOUS WEB QUERIES
- MS ACCESS USING ODBC AND IIS3.0 ON AN NT SERVER CAN NOT HANDLE MORE THAN 1
(Some experts said 5) SIMULTANEOUS
QUERIES WITHOUT CRASHING
- NT SERVERS REQUIRE AN AUTHENTICATION OF A WEB MEMBER , AT EACH PAGE. i.e EACH
TIME A MEMBER ACCESSES
ANY PARTICULAR PAGE INSIDE THE MEMBERS SECTION OF THE SITE, HIS IDENTIY WOULD BE
CHECKED AND ONE
QUERY WOULD BE MADE TO THE DATABASE.
- NO MORE THAN ONE USER CAN QUERY THE MS ACCESS DATABASE AT A TIME. (CONCEPT
OF DATA UPSIZING).
- THE RESOURCES REQUIRED TO HANDLE A WEB-BASED DEMAND WOULD BE SO HIGH IN CPU
USAGE THAT THE SERVER
WOULD CONSTANTLY CRASH.
- THE MS ACCESS DATABASE WOULD BE UNABLE TO PROCESS THE WEB QUERIES AS SOON
AS ONLY FEW MEMBERS WILL BE USING
- ONLY AN SQL SERVER IS ABLE TO HANDLE MULTIPLE QUERIES FROM MANY WEB USERS.
- TRANSFERING THE DATABASE TO A SQL SERVER IS A MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE OPERATION
WHICH PRICE IS BASED ON A
PREDETERMINED NUMBER OF SIMULTANEOUS USER.
=> THE CHOICE OF USING MS ACCESS 97 AS DATABASE APPLICATION, NT SERVER RUNNING
IIS 3.0 ALONG WITH ACCESS ODBC
DRIVER AS THE SERVER AND DATABASE CONNECTIVITY AND CHOOSING IDC/HTX TO
GENERATE THE DYNAMIC CONTENT,
DOOMED THE FEASIBILITY OF THE PROJECT RIGHT FROM THE START.
- ACCORDING TO ALL THE EXPERTS CONSULTED REGARDING THAT MATTER IT WAS
IMPOSSIBLE FOR THE PROJECT TO WORK
USING THE ABOVE PROGRAMMING, SOFTWARE APPLICATION AND SERVER
Thank you for your prompt reply.