[2 days left] What’s wrong with your cloud strategy? Learn why multicloud solutions matter with Nimble Storage.Register Now

x
?
Solved

Linked Table Slow

Posted on 1998-08-19
1
Medium Priority
?
197 Views
Last Modified: 2010-03-19
I am connecting to SQL through OBDC from MSAccess.  I have approx. 50 machines that will be using the SQL. There are currently about 15 machines on SQL. about 25% of them run very fast. the other 75% run very slow.  All the odbc settings are the same, all the SQL drivers are the same. It seems to be computer oriented.  The same machines run fast no matter what scenario.  What network protocol should I be running and would this make a difference.
0
Comment
Question by:rvindust
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
1 Comment
 

Accepted Solution

by:
bmccaig earned 60 total points
ID: 1089630
What you might be running into is a network protocol problem.  I have seen similiar problems where the client was running IPX, TCP/IP and NetBeui.  Unless you have specific needs (i.e. connecting to a Novell server) then I won't run IPX.  NetBeui should do the job for you just fine.  You can also run TCP/IP at the same if you need it (for Internet connectivity and the like).  You will also need to make sure that your NT server is running the NetBeui protocol.

Also, some performance differences can be measured by the hardware.  For example, a pc with a Pentium II 400 is naturally going to run things faster than a 486.  Another difference might be the amount of memory each workstation has.  If some of the workstations have less than 32 meg memory, you could be running into a situation where the operating system is spending time swapping in and out from virtual memory.

I hope this helps.
0

Featured Post

Veeam Disaster Recovery in Microsoft Azure

Veeam PN for Microsoft Azure is a FREE solution designed to simplify and automate the setup of a DR site in Microsoft Azure using lightweight software-defined networking. It reduces the complexity of VPN deployments and is designed for businesses of ALL sizes.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

For both online and offline retail, the cross-channel business is the most recent pattern in the B2C trade space.
In this article we will learn how to fix  “Cannot install SQL Server 2014 Service Pack 2: Unable to install windows installer msi file” error ?
This video shows, step by step, how to configure Oracle Heterogeneous Services via the Generic Gateway Agent in order to make a connection from an Oracle session and access a remote SQL Server database table.
Viewers will learn how to use the INSERT statement to insert data into their tables. It will also introduce the NULL statement, to show them what happens when no value is giving for any given column.

656 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question