Linux boot error....HELP!
Posted on 1998-09-20
I have recently installed Slackware Linux with no problems except no sound. Therefore I ventured to re-configure and compile the Kernel.
The PC spec. is as follows....
1. Intel P166 with 128 MB
2. 2 x IDE drives with an IDE/ATAPI CD ROM om secondary slave
3. Diamond Stealth 64 DRAM video card (no accelerator card)
4. Kingston PCI Ethernet adapter - no network but terminated
5. Motorola VoiceSurf 56Kbps internal modem
6. Soundblaster Pro sound card
7. A-Bit 430VX series Intel chipset main-board
I have configured the Kernel with 'make config', followed by 'make dep' to configure associated modules and then 'make clean'. Finally I have compiled using 'make zImage'.
I have copied the newly compiled compressed image to '/vmlinuz', configured '/etc/lilo.conf' and ran 'lilo'
I have an NT4.0 server dual boot setp which worked fine with the initiai installation but when booting to the new kernel image I get either....
.....unable to fill buffer
-- System halted.
Or the Kernel begins to load and then issues the following schrolling error....
child 'XXXX' died with error ff00
Anyone have any ideas - 100 points on the table :)