Simultaneous Audio in and out on AWE64
Posted on 1998-09-20
I'm running into a problem doing simultaneous stereo 16bit 44.1kHz audio input and output using a Creative AWE64 soundcard. I'm using Direct X 6.0 (DirectSoundCapture & DirectSound) and MSVC++ 5.
Here's the problem: if I run the audio input and audio output code *simultaneously*, the audio input works fine, but audio output quality is degraded (sounds like it gets switched from 16 bits to 8 bits). If I run the audio output alone, the sound is clean.
Some other info:
- The problem is reproducible on other PCs that have AWE64 cards.
- I *am* able to do simultaneous clean 16/44.1 audio in and out using the same code on other PCs that don't use the AWE64 (eg my home PC which uses an ESS sound chip).
- All the DirectSound and DirectSoundCapture calls are returning DS_OK (including all calls where I set the audio formats).
- I also get the same glitchy audio output when I attempt to do simultaneous in and out on an AWE64 using the old waveIn/waveOut functions.
- I'm using the very latest AWE64 drivers I can find (straight from Creative's web site).
Has anyone run into a similar problem with simultaneous audio I/O on the AWE64?