I'm using a printer filter that recognizes a DVI file and sends it through dvips and gs before printing it.
This works okay if all my fonts exist beforehand, but if dvips has to generate the fonts, it fails.
Dvips invokes MakeTeXPK, which then dies with the error message "No child process".
But if I invoke the printer filter directly from the command line, everything works fine. It only fails if
the printer filter is called by lpd.
I've tried checking various ulimit settings and my PATH environment, but everything looks right. I've recompiled lpd. I've replaced the standard RedHat printer filter with one of my own invention, but the result is always the same.