Thread controlling function as non-global

I am using Visual c++ 5 to join two previous c++ programs and am using multithreading to let them run simultaneously.

I have built the GUI in a project and would like to add the other program to run as a worker thread when required.

I wan't the worker thread to have access to members of MFC classes in the original GUI thread. The problem I am having is in calling the worker thread from within a member function of the GUI thread.

I am trying to do this with code like this:

AfxBeginThread( (AFX_THREADPROC ) CMatchThread::MatchThreadProc, m_pPose);

where the actual controlling function is defined in the CMatchThread class as follows:

static UINT MatchThreadProc(LPVOID);

The error I get is this:
error C2440: 'type cast' : cannot convert from 'overloaded function type' to 'unsigned int (__cdecl *)(void *)'
                                                     None of the functions with this name in scope match the target type

I can't understand what's wrong with my typecast, I know it's possible to declare the controlling function as a non-global, where am I going wrong?
gavinpatAsked:
Who is Participating?

BridgeConnect With a Mentor Commented:
Pass the class object as the parameter to the thread function.

kahhoeCommented:
hi gavinpat,

If I remember correctly, thread only work with C functions.  There are issue like stack and heap size to set too.  

One solution is to create a C function thread to run your class functions.  For example,

threadfunc1()
{
  CMatchThread::MatchThreadProc();  
}

Try to look for ACE (Adaptive Communication Envirnoment, I think) for information on how to implement multi-thread class.  Or just buy thread.h++ from roguewave.

Best Regards,
Kah Hoe

gavinpatAuthor Commented:
Bridge, surely passing the class object as the parameter would mean that the thread becomes a GUI thread instead of a worker thread? I don't really want the overhead of a message pump slowing down the rest of the program.
Question has a verified solution.

Are you are experiencing a similar issue? Get a personalized answer when you ask a related question.

Have a better answer? Share it in a comment.

All Courses

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.