B i g Q u e s t i o n s - L a r g e r T h a n A v e r a g e R e w a r d
Many questions to follow:
I have constructed and will be maintaining www.petroleum.org
. The site will be a "Start" page for the petroleum industry. I have the site devided into 2 sides. One side being standard html and the other being shockwave. You will notice that I started with a splash page to introduce the site. Would/do I need to divide the site into IE4 capable, NS4 capable install a sniffer and then branch to the shockwave?
1. I would like to give the user the opportunity to select his desired means of browsing, html or shockwave. I have done this by already but would like to improve on what I already have.
2. I would like to set a cookie so that when the user comes "home" he will be directed to the area he choose to "subscribe to". The user will also need to be able to reset their cookie, so that they can make a change to the way they view the site. I have in no way the comprehension on how to write the cookie, where to place it on my server, download it to their machine, ect. What I will need is VERY specific instructions on how to do this to include a working example of the code and where to place it within my splash page html.
3. Under IE4 the splash page buttons are the same size. In NS4 the stanard html button/link is larger. I can't figure out why. Please help.
4. Would it be better to sniff the browser and reload the window to send the browser to the proper "side" of the site?
If so, please include the html/script that will sniff the browser, java settings, resolution and colors if all that is possible. I have used another popup window on another site I manage that sniffs the browser. Will this be effiecent enough (www.odp-inc.com
5. I need a better way to manage the menu so that it doesn't reload the menu each time a user selects an item in the menu. I think an include tag or something like this will work. I would like the site menu to actually be like MSNBC's site menu (www.msnbc.com
) where a click expands and passes the menu to the right of the upper level menu. Please include the html/script to accomplish this.
6. You will notice the stock ticker at www.petroleum.org
is pretty generic. The reason it is this way is because you don't have the cookie I received from the server that sets it for me. I would like to take my cookie (on my local pc) which configures the ticker for the petroleum industry portfolio and set it in the visitors browser so they see the ticker that I want them to see. Is it safe to upload my cookie to my webserver call it and have it set the cookie on your machine? Can this be done and how?
8. I also need a one time constructive critic of the TOTAL SITE, its design, colors, flaws, merits, etc. I do not want to hear it looks bad... it looks good... it sucks.... When anwsering please include your browser type and resolution/colors(hence the large reward of 500 pts, to the individual who awnsers my question completely)
Thank you much in advance.