Posted on 1998-12-09
From an NT 4.0 based PC I am looking for ways to query an Oracle D/B running on a Unix Based Sun box across a LAN. I must generate SQL queries and use the NT based ODBC driver. The application must further evaluate the data and alert the user of certain conditions.
Specifically the application:
1. Must query the remote Oracle D/B;
2. The queries must be automated to repeat every 15 to 30 minutes to get current data no operator interaction is allowed;
3. Must perform minor mean and standard deviation calculation on the result of the queries;
4. Must display the results;
5. Must sound an audible alarm when certain results are detected.
I'd say Excel with some VBA or a combination of Excel, Access and VBA would do the trick Is this true? Are there other or better alternatives? Rapid development and ease of development are an important consideration here!