converiosn of memofields to alphafields7delphi

hi,
i have to copy one paradoxtable to another paradoxtable where the sourcetable has some memofields which i want to copy into alphafields in the dest.paradoxtable. i tried tbatchmove but didnt work, bmove stopped with the warning of data loss (data cut off etc.) how can i simply do this, thank u v.much
ugrossAsked:
Who is Participating?
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

mhervaisCommented:
Dor BDE, the fields are automatically converted to memo even if the underlying database accepts string fields exceeding 256 chars.

1) if your data does not exceed 256 chars you can write a program that transfers from your source table to your dest table with corresponding reduced fields size,

2) if not you will have to stay on memo.

if interested in solution 1, I can whrite you quickly a squeleton for it

0

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
mhervaisCommented:
(not Dor -- For)
0
ugrossAuthor Commented:
yes thanks would be great when u could provide me one, great

0
Introducing Cloud Class® training courses

Tech changes fast. You can learn faster. That’s why we’re bringing professional training courses to Experts Exchange. With a subscription, you can access all the Cloud Class® courses to expand your education, prep for certifications, and get top-notch instructions.

LischkeCommented:
Marc, great that you wanna help out, but please start with a comment instead of an answer :-)

ugross,

if there cannot be a data loss because the memo field length is less than the alpha field length then just ignore the warnings and set TBatchMove.AbortOnProblem to False to let the batch move go through.

Ciao, Mike
0
LischkeCommented:
Marc, congratulations for the points :-)

ugross, why did you accept the given answer? What did it contain you could use to solve your problem?

Ciao, Mike
0
ugrossAuthor Commented:
sorry lischke for that was a mistake
0
LischkeCommented:
Next time it becomes better...

Ciao, Mike
0
mhervaisCommented:
Mike, I completely agree that your answer is better than mine.

Howether, I had an answer and I proposed it as it was. Your answer being better than mine does not withdraw any quality from mine.

If I could give you the points back I would, and if Ugross wants a skeleton, I will still be glad to make it.

Howether, it is Ugross Responsability to accept or to reject answer.

regards, Marc





0
ugrossAuthor Commented:
hi again,
just tried the batchmove with the abort fields on false, but in the former memofields i get in the alpha fields now the following \rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\deff0\deftab720{\fonttbl{\f0\fswiss MS Sans Serif;}, what have i done wrong,
thx guys
0
mhervaisCommented:
Ugross It seems that your former fields are not just strings but are RTF encoded.

This comes probably because the application that store them took them in a component that kempt them in RTF Format. Typically like TRichEdit.

It means that you cannot change the format of your destination column unless, you find a way to strip off all the RTF indications from your text.

Of course TBatchMove is not ment to di this type of converstion, and if you would like to convert it, I think you will have to use a program, that reads your source table line by line, then find one way out decode this encoded field, and then write this line into the destination table.

I looked the richedit component to see if it could do the decoding, but at the moment the help did not encourage me.

I'll look again later, and let you know.

regards,

Marc

 
0
ugrossAuthor Commented:
hi mhervais thank u very much for your help, will have a look by myself, thank u i hope i find a way. merci beaucoup
0
mhervaisCommented:
Ugross It seems that your former fields are not just strings but are RTF encoded.

This comes probably because the application that store them took them in a component that kempt them in RTF Format. Typically like TRichEdit.

It means that you cannot change the format of your destination column unless, you find a way to strip off all the RTF indications from your text.

Of course TBatchMove is not ment to di this type of converstion, and if you would like to convert it, I think you will have to use a program, that reads your source table line by line, then find one way out decode this encoded field, and then write this line into the destination table.

I looked the richedit component to see if it could do the decoding, but at the moment the help did not encourage me.

I'll look again later, and let you know.

regards,

Marc

 
0
mhervaisCommented:
ok ugross. good luck
0
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Delphi

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.