Posted on 1999-11-20
Medium Priority
Last Modified: 2013-11-09
hi i am on cable now!some one told me it is as easy as getting another Ethernet card and put it into my other comupter and do a splice from this cable modem to that computer..is this true?? thanks   thesurf   see ya!!
Question by:thesurf
1 Comment

Accepted Solution

ggilman earned 200 total points
ID: 2222649
I'm assuming You mean sharing your cable modem connection. This is what you should do:

List of supplies:
1 crossover cable
Internet connection sharing software

1. Install a second NIC (Ethernet) card in the machine.
2. Put a NIC in the second machine.
3. Get a special crossover cable to reach between the two machines.
4. Install Internet connection software on the first machine, the one attached to the cable modem. Windows 98 second edition hast the software built in but must be installed still. Alternatively under 95 or an earlier version of 98, get a third party software like WinGate and set it up. Set this up according to instructions. It should only have to be installed on the first machine but on the second machine, you will have to modify the TCP/IP settings.

As long as you set everything up properly it will work. Alternatively rather than a crossover cable you can get a 2 standard cat5 ethernet cable and a hub. Sometimes it is hard to find a crossover cable. Connect one end of each cable into a different port in the hub and the other end to either computer.
The way it works is that any request on the second computer to the Internet will first get relayed to the first computer, which will in turn make the actual requests.
I have done this to my two computers both under WinGate and Windows 98 SE without problems, using a hub both times.
I wouldn't reccomend "splicing" the wire from the cable modem. Using a second NIC in the first computer, along with a crossover cable or hub, is a much better solution. Total cost for this project can still be less than $30-$50.

Featured Post

SMB Security Just Got a Layer Stronger

WatchGuard acquires Percipient Networks to extend protection to the DNS layer, further increasing the value of Total Security Suite.  Learn more about what this means for you and how you can improve your security with WatchGuard today!

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Monitor input from a computer is usually nothing special.  In this instance it prevented anyone from using the computer.  This was a preconfiguration that didn't work.
What do we know about Legacy Video Conferencing? - Full IT support needed! - Complicated systems at outrageous prices! - Intense training required! Highfive believes we need to embrace a new alternative.
How to fix display issue, screen flickering issue when I plug in power cord to the machine. Before I start explaining the solution lets check out once the issue how it looks like after I connect the power cord. most of you also have faced this…
Stellar Phoenix SQL Database Repair software easily fixes the suspect mode issue of SQL Server database. It is a simple process to bring the database from suspect mode to normal mode. Check out the video and fix the SQL database suspect mode problem.
Suggested Courses

598 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question