O97: SR1 won't install!
Posted on 1999-12-07
I have Win 98, OEM version on a new PC along with Office 97, non-OEM installed. I'm trying to install the Office 97 SR2b update on a PC with the SR1 patch. But I keep getting an error:
"The Office 97 SR-2 patch cannot be applied to your computer. Either Office 97 is not installed [it is] on this computer, or there are files from multiple versions of Office 97 on this computer. Try installing Office 97 or running the latest SR-1 patch to correct the problem.[I did.] "
I read up about this problem with SR1 and Win 98 and did the following:
- Renamed walign.exe to walign.e in \windows\system so it wouldn't run. Walign actually changes the files, so SR1 can't recognize them and update them.
- Deleted winword.exe, excel.exe, msaccess.exe, mso97.dll, outllib.dll, powerpnt.exe.
- Reinstalled Office 97 (it was a full reinstall because it asked me for the CD key)
- After entering the CD key, my ID key did not contain "OEM" (which I read is a problem with SR1)
- Rebooted and installed SR1 which I got today from the MS website. (I had read there were several versions of SR1 so I got the file again.)
Then I ran the Office 97 version checker. And I got the error above, which meant the SR1 didn't take. Now when I run the SR1, it appears the SR1 program itself is aligning the files (which changes them). How do I get this SR1 installed?
What I noticed, is in the Registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, Software, Microsoft, I have keys for "Office 97 Professional" and "Office". But there is only one version of Office on this PC. How do I fix this? Could this be the problem?
The user is having a problem with Access updating the wrong record. When she changes data in a field of an existing record, sometimes that data is put in the record after the one being edited. User uses a combo box to get the record, and that uses Recordsetclone and Bookmark. I heard there was a problem with Recordsetclone and Bookmarks. SR2b fixes this problem, but I can't install it.
A note on Woody's Office Watch says I need the Enterprise Update from my vendor. Is there another way to get this?
It is critical that this get fixed, because Access changes our data without our knowing it! Help! Thanks.