samba unreachable after RD5.5->6.0 upgrade

Some days ago I had to upgrade my Redhat Linux installation from 5.2 to 6.0. SInce then, I am unable to reach this computer from my laptop (running NT sp3) via the Samba shares I used to use. I can open an Xterm using Reflection, though. Redhat makes backups of a number of files (as *.rpmsave) but I have been unable to see anything related to Samba. The only thing that I found was a new set-up of a program/daemon called Pam. I have no idea what it does, but I came across 1 sentence in the Samba documentation mentioning it.

Is there anyone who has had the same experience and who has a solution?
jmvalkAsked:
Who is Participating?
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

finikCommented:
Yes, I had a major problem with samba after upgrading. The problem is that you see the shares, but can't enter/authenticate, although the smb.conf is the same, right?
The problem is, they changed the default value
of on of the most important options in smb.conf, the  "security" option from "security=share" to "security=user".
It took me some time to find out this, but now everything is working. I think, they should right
in big red letters on every corner instead of capital letter somewhere in the middle of man page.
So, if your smb.conf didn't contain "security=???" option and used the default one,
then set it to "share" and you're set.
Good luck.
0

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
jmvalkAuthor Commented:
Finik,

I remember, while looking through the smb.conf that security was set to USER, but since there was no back-up of the original file, i reckoned it was no changed applied by the upgrade procedure (it has been a while since I installed Samba, so I forgot about this one). I'm away from my computer right now, so I'll get back to you in a day or so, but I think we have a solution here.

Thanks for the reply,

JM
0
jmvalkAuthor Commented:
It worked, I had to re-map all drives in Explorer, since all links stopped functioning, but now I have full control, again. Thanks!

JM
0
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Linux

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.