Page Layout

If you go to you'll see that theres a menu on top and bottom.  They somehow blended them together though.  I have no idea what this is called or how to do it, any help is appreciated.
Who is Participating?
zs6phdConnect With a Mentor Commented:
Partial answer:  If you feel strong enough, have a look at the source code which comes down to you on  In IE you can see this by selecting View/Source.  In this case there is a lot of open white space - presumably this is a feature of the tool they use to generate the page.  I'm not familiar enough with these tools to tell where it comes from - It could be a commercial package or an inhouse-developed code generator.  Definitely not FP!

The basic answer to your question is as follows:  Its all done with tables.  First, you need to produce the graphic components, in this case the top bar and the side bar separately. Obviously, the picture must run continuously from one to the other.  The 3D shading shows that this is not done with a simple tool like MS Image Composer.  The two (or more) parts of the graphic are then placed in table cells.  When you browse the page you don't see the join between the two parts of the graphic.

If you look at the source code, and look only at the table elements, to get the big picture, you will see how the top bar and the lower parts fit together.

Here's a neat trick to decompose a page: In IE 5, save the page to your hard drive.  It will save all the components as well. Then, Open this page in FP 2000.  This will immediately show you how the page was put together.

You will see that the left-hand part of the border is in fact the page background, which allows it to extend to the bottom of the page, no matter how long the page may be. It is behind the top piece of the border as well, but is hidden - You can see this by deleting the large graphic in the top table.

Hope this is useful.

Don't see what you mean at
I see a menu bar: " home | ign | games..." etc.  In the body of the page there are headings for "ign games", "ign for men" etc, but these seem to be the body of the page and do not exactly match the menu bar.
ShackmanAuthor Commented:
Sorry, i dont know much of the termenology for stuff.  I mean at the very left and very top, they blended those 2 blue borders together.  Howd they do they that, and whats it called to have those frame-like menus at the top and left?
Question has a verified solution.

Are you are experiencing a similar issue? Get a personalized answer when you ask a related question.

Have a better answer? Share it in a comment.

All Courses

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.