"The name could not be resolved" frustration!

I'm having a problem with a Outlook 98 (8.5.6204.0) client trying to connect
to our Exchange server (5.5 sp2).  When adding the Exchange Server service
to the client's mail profile and trying to resolve the name, it returns the
dreaded
"The name could not be resolved.  Network problems are preventing connection
to the Microsoft Exchange Server computer.  Contact your system
administrator if this condition persists."
I've tried everything - ensured the rpc_binding_order is set correctly
(ncacn_np,ncacp_tcp_ip), and even tried using the ip address of the exchange
server vs. the name in the profile.  I've also tried creating a HOSTS file
and an LMHOSTS file including the name/ip of the exchange server.  I can
ping the exchange server by name no problem.  And all other network
functions on the workstation seem to work fine.  I've tried uninstalling and
reinstalling OL98 and again no luck.  I can connect to the exchange server
using a POP3 mail profile, so this seems to indicate some sort of MAPI
problem, or possibly a NetBios name resolution problem.  I can also go to
another computer and access OL98 and my mailbox just fine.  The funny thing
is it used to work, and then poof!  This happened a while back as well, and
I ended up blowing away the system and re-installing from scratch (Win 95,
OL98), and then it started working again.  Registry problem?  Any hints or
suggestions would be greatly appreciated before I resort to the complete
re-install again.
TIA.  Wally
Wally_YoungAsked:
Who is Participating?
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

Neo_mvpsCommented:
The best document that I know of in troubleshooting IP connectivity issues to Exchange is:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q155/0/48.asp

Some things to keep in mind.  If your Exchange box is strictly TCP/IP, then you might want to consider moving ncacp_tcp_ip up to the front of the binding order or limiting the bindings to just the protocols you want to support.

More info can be found in:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q163/5/76.asp
0
TemlockCommented:
Before I get into it, do you have any other protocols besides TCP/IP loaded on the workstation?  If so, check to ensure that your Client for Microsoft Networking is not bound to any other protocol (IPX, NetBEUI, etc) as this will misdirect calls to the server (with Win95, even if you rebind).

You will need to look to remedy this in your Network control panel by removing erroneos protocols first.  If this doesn't work, reload TCP/IP.  If this doesnt' work either, remove the NIC driver and start from scratch.

You may want to obtain a copy of RPCPing from the support.microsoft.com site.  This will help you test RPC connectivity between clients and servers.  Takes some of the guess work out of it.
0

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
TemlockCommented:
I meant for the above statement to be a comment, not an answer.  My apologies.  Either way, I hope it helps.

0
Wally_YoungAuthor Commented:
TCP/IP is the only protocol running on the workstation and exchange server.  The exchange server has ncacn_np,ncacn_tcp_ip as the two protocols in that order.  Have tried removing and re-installing the NIC card also, as well as upgrading from 95 to 98.

I've fired-up the RPCPing utility on the server and the workstation, and something interesting happens.  On the problem workstation, when specifying Named Pipes to run a ping test, it returns an error "RPC call raised exception 0x6ba - The server is unavailable".  Endpoint search returns that it found nothing.  Using TCP_IP, it comes back ok.  When I try this on another computer, both named pipes and tcp_ip work fine.  So, something's up with the named pipes between the problem computer and the exchange server.  So where's the problem?  How do I fix it??
0
Wally_YoungAuthor Commented:
After replacing the RPC*.* files on the workstations \WINDOWS\SYSTEM directory with the one's from the Windows (98) distribution CD, it's now working!!  (At least that's the last thing I tried that seemed to do the trick.)  Came from a Microsoft TechNet article Q174701.  Thanks for the help!
0
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Outlook

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.