I just changed my latest US Robotics 56k PCI Internet V.80 +V.90 to the USB Modular spec of the same spec as I was having conflict problems with the old one which chould not be resolved as I have too many devices in my comp.
What I want to know is having after installed this USB modem, is;
1) Can it be slower than a PC hardware modem? Their tech support said it might be because USB is softare driven not hardware, thereby requiring more PC processing power?
2. I dont get a dial tone or a connection talk (long piercing sounds when comp. is connecting) at all. Tech support says this is normal with all USB modems.
3. USB modems are not good for playing games over the Internet, like Quake or Unreal Tournoment, as the ping is slower compared to normal PCI modems.
4. Like my PCI modem, the USB modem freezes for a second when it connects and disconnects.
5. Dialing in and viewing some pages on the web appear to be working slower.
Is all the above valid, and suggestions?