Compaq Proliant 1500 and DE500 NIC

I am trying to install a Digital (Compaq?) DE500 network adapter into a Compaq Proliant 1500 server (approx. 4 years old). When I configure the NIC to autosense the speed, or force the speed to 10 Mbit (full duplex or half duplex), everything works fine.

Autosense sets the NIC to 10 Mbit, so I tried forcing the NIC to 100 Mbit. No go. The 100 Mbit LED on the NIC goes on, but the link LED goes off. The NIC is connected to a 10/100 Mbit autosensing switch. I tried patching the connection to a switch port that surely works at 100 Mbit, and it gives the same results.

This problem is reproducible on:
- NT Server 3.51, SP 5, with the drivers that shipped with the NIC
- NT Server 4.0, SP 6, with the NT drivers that shipped with NT
- NT Server 4.0, SP 6, with the drivers that shipped with the NIC

I have used the NIC in other machines, and it worked flawlessly. My uneducated guess is that the Proliant server is refusing to co-operate with the adapter. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
peltwAsked:
Who is Participating?
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

LermitteCommented:
0
LermitteCommented:
I must ask it. Do you use a good cable. UTP5 for the connection. Sorry...

Mario
0

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
peltwAuthor Commented:
The driver patch did not work out.

I'm not blaming you for the question about the cabling. It is usually the first thing I ask when someone comes to me with this kind of problem. I even feel a bit silly I forgot to mention it in the first place. For the record, we use Cat 5 SFTP cabling.

As a matter of fact, it did turn out to be a cabling problem. Probably this is what went wrong: When the network was installed about two years ago, the patch numbers were initially put on hand-written labels. After certification of the network, the labels were replaced with printed labels. Something must have gone wrong there, as two labels have been swapped. This has been undetected until now. And guess what? The system that only needed 10 Mbit was patched to the 100 Mbit switch, and vice versa.

Leaves me to wonder how many labels have been swapped in the whole building :-)
0
peltwAuthor Commented:
It was not exactly the solution to the problem, but it came close, and at least it triggered me to recheck the cabling system.
0
LermitteCommented:
Thanks, so the next time check the cables first. I know I had this before once and look for a sollution and it's was the same thing.

Mario
0
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Windows OS

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.