downloaded ICQ v 2.0 onto my mac powerbook G3, OS 8.6.
- went to the ICQ White Pages (http://www.icq.com/whitepages/search.html
) on Netscape 4.5 to scout out fellow users.
- Filled out a couple of search parameters and clicked the "Search" button to bring up a results page (http://wwp.icq.com/scripts/srch.dll
- Found someone who lived near me, and clicked a "zoom me" button for more information on that user (that brought up a page http://wwp.icq.com/scripts/Srch.dll?Uin=7790511
- on that screen, i opted to send that user an instant message, and clciked on a link called "message me" (http://wwp.icq.com/scripts/contact.dll?msgto=7790511
- and here's where my memory of the sequence of events gets foggy:
- when i did that (clicked on http://wwp.icq.com/scripts/contact.dll?msgto=7790511
), i think netscape came on and said i was missed a plug-in
- don't exactly remember what happened, but now when i click that link, it opens with ICQ and downloads a file "contact.dll" onto my desktop
i have tried to stop this process, even to the point of removing the file extension .dll from the file extensions control panel, restarting my computer, but still the same event occurs.
what SHOULD be happening is that ICQ should pop up a dialog box to type a message into - what is wrong?