I have just installed a NT 4.0 server as a BDC in my domain. I am now having problems with it disappearing from the domain...heres what I mean. This problem has went through several stages and are as follows:
When I boot the BDC -- it comes up and I get a Netlogon error that says it can't authenticate to the PDC(the PDC is running SBS - installed before I got here!!). (they are in same network segement in two different rooms -- I can ping each by name or IP from the other) I originally thought it was bad NIC drivers -- I reinstalled them to no avail ..(although here I must say -- everything seems to work -- I can browse the NN and go out to the internet)
From there I assumed the SID was messed up on the machine account on the PDC so I powered down the BDC and deleted it's account from the PDC/domain. Then went in as Administrator and added an account for it to the domain (with same name as before) I then booted the BDC. It came up and I still have problems among them are:
1. Using ServerMGR I double-click on the BDC and it says "network path not found" -- then I go to DOS Prompt and use the command: Net Accounts /sync and then I can go back to ServerMGR and double-click on it and it opens. Sometime after that though (I guess after the next refresh -- it gets "network path not found again".
2. In Event Viewer on BDC I get messege that says -- "browser unable to retrieve a list of servers from the master browser"
3. Can't double-click on the BDC from anything other than the PDC (after the net account /sync command) -- from any workstation when you DC it -- you get "network path not found"
4. When the BDC boots I get messege in event viewer that says: "The server was unable to register the administration tool discovery information."
5. I've checked all IP addresses, etc.