I'm using UTL_FILE as an alternative to SQL*LOADER to load in data to an Oracle Database (8.1.5).
1) I am interested in finding out the largest permissible file size that can be opened (for reading only) by this package. The file will be located on a Unix box.
Currently, I have a data extract flat file that is in excess of 700MB.
2) Will I be able to read this?
3) Will its size have an impact on the speed on which the lines are read?
4) Or does the file only get opened in chunks into a buffer?
5) If the file is only read in chunks into a buffer, can you tell me what is the default buffer size and how one might change it?
50 points for getting the max size biz.
100 points for finding max size and the default buffer size.
200 points for answering all questions.
(I don't mind splitting the points up around and posting additional questions to provide points for contributors).
Thanks to all,