I am trying to get PERL CGI working on PWS on Windows 98 and am having the following problem:-
1) I have installed PWS and it works, I created a webserver with root in \My Documents\Webserver and then created a directory for CGI in \My Documents\Webserver\cgi-bin
2)Using the PWS console I went to ADVANCED and then set the properties of cgi-bin to READ EXECUTE and SCRIPTS
3) Next I downloaded ActivePerl and installed it to c:\perl\bin
4) I then edited the registery and set the value of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\Current_Control_set\Services\W3svc\Script_map
.pl = c:\perl\bin\perl.exe %s %s
5) I then created the following perl script
print "HTTP/1.0 200 OK\n";
print "Content-Type: text/html\n\n";
print "<TITLE>Perl TEST PAGE</TITLE>\n";
print "<H3> This is a test<\H3>\n";
called it testing1.pl and saved it in my cgi-bin directory
6) I rebooted the computer, ran my browser and navigated to cgi-bin, when I double click on testing.pl I get the following error message:-
HTTP Error 403
403.1 Forbidden: Execute Access Forbidden
This error can be caused if you try to execute a CGI, ISAPI, or other executable program from a directory that does not allow programs to be executed.
Please contact the Web server's administrator if the problem persists.
7) To test whether this was a directory permissions problem I put a .exe in the directory and it ran fine.
Anybody any ideas where I am going wrong !!