Network Cabling

I want to network my old win95 comptuer wiht a 98 one.   i've got two 10/100 network cards with RJ45 plugs.   One comptuer is in the shed, and the other in the house, and i want to put plugs in the walls to amke it look all nice and tidy etc.    I was told that only one of the leads from computer to the wall needs to be a cross over cable, and the rest straight.    Is this correct??
Who is Participating?

Improve company productivity with a Business Account.Sign Up

DassaConnect With a Mentor Commented:
Personally I would have the link from the shed to the house as a standard straight cable.  Just make one cable a crossover from one of the wall plugs to your computer.  This way, if you decide to expand you can just keep the crossover cable (short one) for use elsewhere and be able to use the long lead between the house and the shed as normal with a hub without having to disturb the wall socket.  You can get a small hub fairly cheaply and you may decide to expand the network.
right, crossing both ends is like a double negative: you'll end up back at a straight-through cable.
you might just want to wire one of the wall jacks crossed-over and use standard cables
Here is a site that discusses in-depth how to do what you want:

Get expert help—faster!

Need expert help—fast? Use the Help Bell for personalized assistance getting answers to your important questions.

either idea is fine... the crossed cabling in the wall can always be undone by plugging in to a crossover hub port or using another crossover cable
Is this correct??

Yes. you were given the right answer.

However, if you're going to that much work, why not invest in small hub?

Place on the end where you do most work.

Inevitably there will be times when the connection may not be working, or you think it's not working, for whatever reason.

A quick glance at the hub lights and you'll know which pc card isn't on, or if there's a snag in the connection.

Or simply see if they're talking.

Savesa alot of time, headaches and soles (sneaker network).
Yes everyone is correct. When you have a network, you USAULLY have a hub. All the cables are straight through shots, and line up pin for pin on both sides. The "Crossover or spliter action" is done in the hub. Now if you wanted to connect your lap top to your friends PC or as you described have a puter in the shed, and one in the house, you can plug a cable in both network cards and go straight from one puter to the other.

But if your not using a HUB, you will have to make a X-OVER cable. It is simple tho you could buy quite a few hubs under 100.00 that are great and some under 50.00 with only 3 or 4 terminal capabilities that will be just fine. Keep the lengths shorter then 100 feet or so, I have seen then go as high as 150 feet, but recomended not to exceed 100 foot lengths for each run to a puter.

why do your thoughts here count as an answer when those above really already cover the issue?

i'll add a few comments myself

1. there is absolutely no need to buy a hub now if there are just two computers on the network... there are indicator lights on all modern network cards, you can always add a hub later

2. it is incorrect to limit the wiring at 100 feet, the limit of utp ethernet cable is 100 meters, 328 feet.
MnNCOMM changed the proposed answer to a comment

OF course "there is absolutely no need to buy a hub now  ....."

But sure makes it easy if you want to plug in your laptop to it

or a visiting friend's , or....

I, for one, would much rather spend the $25/30  to have these options now, and I dont have to pull the box out of its location
so that I can see the lights on the card.

Question has a verified solution.

Are you are experiencing a similar issue? Get a personalized answer when you ask a related question.

Have a better answer? Share it in a comment.

All Courses

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.