Trying to upgrade a AST Bravo MS PC.
(It already has 233MHz Pentium upgrade and is running Win 95. PCI is V2.1).
The PC has onboard Cirrus Logic/Mach64 with 1MB which is slow so I bought an ATI All-In-Wonder 16MB PCI (Rage 128) card.
Problem is with ATI card inserted I have no monitor signal from either monitor port. BIOS doesn't seem to get as far as memory test (I do hear the hard disk spin-up, but that is it).
1. Checked AST web support. Motherboard is supposed to auto disable onboard video support when a external card is detected. No documented jumpers or overrides to ensure mach64 is disabled.
2. Only BIOS video settings are to switch between VGA/EGA, Colour 80, and Mono. I tried the first and last.
3. Each of 2 PCI slots.
4. Power supply switched to 240V via transformer (I normally run the 110V setting on 100V Tokyo power with no problems).
5. Removed AH1520B ISA scsi card
6. Removed top 32MB of memory taking the machine back down to 64MB to ensure no memory window problem.
7. Disconnected IDE disk from controller 1 in case there was interrupt conflict.
8. Tried without the ATI card and the machine is still working.
So I think I am left with 1 final straw to grasp. Will it help to download a ISACU or NVRAM erasing utility from the AST support site? I am afraid to use said utility because I don't really know what it will do and I have previously had a lot of trouble with Win95 and the onboard Crystal Audio CS4232 sound card (which is currently working).
Any other suggestion?
Otherwise I am back to the shop with the card but it may not be easy as I don't speak Japanese and it was bought from the 2nd hand section of the store (software on installation CD is software dated as recently as last October so it isn't that 2nd hand!).