If you can resolve mine, can you resolve my friend's: he think he had a Virus. But more importantly he is trying to wipe the hard drive completely:
Scandisk is showing a BAD cluster and his PC is doing strange things like:
- Randomly reboots during a programme setup or install.
- Frequently freezes when there is no keyboard input for a minute or two.
- Frequently freezes when he tries to setup Win 95, Win 3.1 and F-prot Anti-virus software.
- Frequently freezes when he tries to 'edit' files like config.sys, autoexec.bat etc.
- Frequently freezes when he runs MSD and other programmes.
When his PC 'freezes' he is unable to ctrl-alt-delete to reboot. He said that he has to switch off for a few hours before it can be used again.
During format c: /u, the following message appears "trying to recover allocation unit...etc" The BAD cluster is still there and hasn't moved or deleted.
Since he cannot install Windows, I am unable to run the low level format programme for his Quantum Fireball hard drive. His BIOS does not have low level format option either.
I've also tried a debug routine that 'supposedly' wipes his hard drive and CMOS to no avail.
Would REALLY appeciate some expert advice before he throw his PC out the window. I said I'll try his prob. here.