Installing a VB6 App Has Screwed up My VB5 Development Environment
Posted on 2000-03-14
I develop VB5 code on a W98 machine.
I have a VB5 application with many users. After a recent update of the .exe some people began getting fatal errors when starting the program. I think I've traced this to new .dll and .ocx files that were replaced on my machine when I installed an application that had been developed in VB6.
It's not practical to have all users change to the new supporting files so, I tried to retreat to my earlier configuration by uninstalling the VB6 application. It had kept the files it replaced and, said it was putting them back and returning the system to it's original state.
After doing this I cannot get my application to run in the development environment. Trying to resolve this I've done a fresh installation of VB5 on another computer which has a fresh W98 installation (completely uncontaminated by the VB6 app) and, copied the folder to that computer that contains all of the forms and modules for my application.
I had to reapply the RichTextBox control ( Project | Components | Apply ) which was missing upon initial load into the development environment. Then, when I try to run it I get multiple errors pointing at the RichTextBox. Here's a typical example:
code item = RichTxtBox.SelStart
error message = Method or Data Member Not Found
The help for this error is not helpful to me. It seems to suggest a member of a collection is missing but, I can't relate to that.
There's an seeming endless number of these and a few other error messages. As soon as I rem one out another pops up. All relate to a rich text box. The environment is calling the rich text box a PictureBox. Obviously a RichTextBox is not a PictureBox!
I don't really want to debug each of these endless errors one at a time since this code was working properly. I prefer to understand how to get back to the (everything working properly) condition that existed before I installed the VB6 application that screwed everything up. Obviously reinstalling the original VB5 condition doesn't achieve this.
This is a wonderful service and, the people here are great but, I've encountered differences of opinion in the past over whether the problem was solved. So, I now try to define what I consider a qualifying solution. In this case I will consider the problem solved if I can return my system to the condition that existed before I installed the VB6 application
I will resist tests that require major or irreversible changes to my Windows installation.
Thanks for your help