Want to win a PS4? Go Premium and enter to win our High-Tech Treats giveaway. Enter to Win


ODBC Errors

Posted on 2000-03-14
Medium Priority
Last Modified: 2012-06-27
I've written an app in VB 6 that is basically a search program of a foxpro file (dbf).  The program connects to the datasource via ODBC.
The program works fine on the development machine.  When I create the setup program (via the package and depolyment wizard) and then run it on a test machine, everything works fine except that whenever a request is made of the dbf file it generates the error:

Err.number = 713
err.decription = Application defined or object defined error

I suspect it is an ODBC thing.  Both ODBC links and set up in excatley the same way with the same driver versions.

So, is there a way I can fix this, or is there a way I can verify the ODBC link in the code so that I get more sensible error messages?
Question by:trevena
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 3

Author Comment

ID: 2617996
On another machine a get the following error when a database request is made:

err.number =429
err.description = ActiveX component can't create object

Don't know if this will help or not

Accepted Solution

martingp earned 800 total points
ID: 2618014
Hi Trevana

I have had the same problem. I found out that I needed to include the Msdbrptr.dll in my setup package.

Open your project, and include a reference to the Msdbrptr.dll file. This file is listed as Microsoft Data Report Designer v6.0 in the References dialog box. You may see Microsoft Data Report Designer v6.0 listed more than once. Make certain that the file associated with the reference is Msdbrptr.dll. Once the reference has been verified, rebuild your setup package.

Author Comment

ID: 2618220
That didn't work (sigh)...

The references I do have are:

Visual Basic For Applications
Visual Basic runtime objects and procedures
Visual Basic objects and procedures
Microsoft Data binding Collection
Microsoft Active X Data Objects 2.0 Library
Microsoft Data Formatting Object Library
and the newly added
Microsoft Data report Designer v6.0

Are there (perhaps) any others I should have.

Author Comment

ID: 2618369
I put the all the project items (forms, Data Env etc) into a new project, recomplied and run the deployment wizard and it worked!

Two problems though:
1. The cab file is about 10(!) meg.
2. it only worked on one machine.

I can get around (1).

When I ran setup on another machine it ran the setup program for Microsoft Data Access Components 2.0, which is fine.  After the DAC setup program had nearly finished, it gave two error messages which were:

msdasc.dll was unable to register itself in the system registry


sqloledb.dll was unable to register itself in the system registry

The first setup program ran fine after these errors, but the program itself died horribly when the .exe was run.

So, how can I get around this one?


Expert Comment

ID: 2618771
I found this reference in MS Knowledgebase article Q194197 Hope this helps Also try to build your distribution after installing Visual Studio Service Pack 3

You can work around this issue by installing Distributed Component Object Model (DCOM) for Windows 95 or Internet Explorer version 4.0 or later.

You can install DCOM for Windows 95 (DCOM95) from the following Web address:


You can install Internet Explorer 4.0 or later from the following Web address:



Featured Post

Free Tool: Path Explorer

An intuitive utility to help find the CSS path to UI elements on a webpage. These paths are used frequently in a variety of front-end development and QA automation tasks.

One of a set of tools we're offering as a way of saying thank you for being a part of the community.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Introduction In a recent article (http://www.experts-exchange.com/A_7811-A-Better-Concatenate-Function.html) for the Excel community, I showed an improved version of the Excel Concatenate() function.  While writing that article I realized that no o…
Background What I'm presenting in this article is the result of 2 conditions in my work area: We have a SQL Server production environment but no development or test environment; andWe have an MS Access front end using tables in SQL Server but we a…
Get people started with the utilization of class modules. Class modules can be a powerful tool in Microsoft Access. They allow you to create self-contained objects that encapsulate functionality. They can easily hide the complexity of a process from…
Show developers how to use a criteria form to limit the data that appears on an Access report. It is a common requirement that users can specify the criteria for a report at runtime. The easiest way to accomplish this is using a criteria form that a…
Suggested Courses

618 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question