Here is a nice large question for routing experts out there (I specifically have jlevie in mind).
Basically, I neeed someone to explain, with examples and perhaps weblinks, the BGP routing protocol. Information that would be useful would be :
(0) What is BGP and how does it work
(1) Can Linux do BGP using gated
(2) If so, what would be the requirements (hardware + software)
(3) How does one get an ASN and your own IPs
(4) Can you have an ASN but still get IPs from your service providers
(5) What versions of CISCO IOS support BGP
(6) What are the requirements (hardware + software) to run BGP on a CISCO Router (RAM, IOS etc)
(7) How can I test BGP ona standalone network (i.e through a couple of Linux machines and mini-networks connected via PPP or SLIP links) to see that it actually works.
I'll probably leave the question open for some time, so please post your answers as comments