Calling a frames page from a frames page

I  have a frames page.  The top frame is a navigation bar containing a dynamic drop-down menu using ASP.  The botton frame contains the external page called by the drop-down.  This works well in Explorer, but in Netscape only the header frame contents are displayed.  When a new item is chosen from the menu Netscape opens a new (blank) window.

Since I am using ASP it is a little tricky since I have to try supress the browser rewriting the header frame after the new page is called.  I use an "if" statement to see if the call is "new", and then write both the header and main frames.  If the header has already been written then the if statment (originally) wrote only the main frame.  Netscape did not like that so I changed the header to zero lines and allowed it to be rewritten.  Netscape no longer had a problem with this.

But now Netscape attempts to open the frame in a new window.  THe target frame is "_parent", but i havetried everything.

Help
LVL 1
russofflAsked:
Who is Participating?
 
bassqueConnect With a Mentor Commented:
if yout trying to do what I think you are.....I had a bit of trouble following your question....but to open a new frameset in the current browser window.....
then the target frame is _top
if you want to open a new set of frames in a current frame the target frame its _self
or within your href statement put target=_top or target=_self

hope this helped
0
 
russofflAuthor Commented:
THanks for the reply.

Basically I have a navigation bar at the top of the page.  The navigation "choices" (from a drop down) call external sites in the lower, or main part of the pages. Since there are dozens of links I chose to use an access database and ASP to generate a dropdown menu instead of hyperlinks.

Since ASP is not aware of the frames I had a problem since it would rewrite the header leaving me with two on the page.  I ended up using an "if" statement to determine if the header had already been written.

Everything worked well (eventually) in Explorer 5.x, but Navigator opened a new window, and did not display any information even though I could see the browser downloading the page.

I did find a solution just about an hour ago - where I originally had the target as "_top" which seemed okay to Explorer, I changed  it to "main" and now  both browsers work okay.

I did try "_self", "_parent" - whatever I could use.

I have about 40 hours in this page - something I though would take 3 hours tops.

Thanks for the advice.
0
All Courses

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.