I get this error message when I try to start the scanner software (whether it is double clicking on the icon on the desktop or trying to open it from the start->programs menu). In both scenarios an hourglass appears and it just hangs there. So what I hit ALT-CTRL-DEL and it says "HPPRSCLT not responding". So I end task. Here are the steps that I've taken to try to resolve the problem with no avail
1. Cycle the scanner (unplug the power and then plug back in)
2. Uninstalling and reinstalling software.
3. Uninstalling photo editing software, but leaving the Scanjet software on the computer (sometimes I'm able to get a scan to work and sometimes not. The photo editing software that I have is adobe photodeluxe 2.0 and live pix 2.0)
4. Changing the settings in the bios (I'm tried ecp, epp, and spp and no luck)
5. changing the file DRVWPPQT.VXD to DRVWPPQT.OLD so that Windows will try to find the scanner....this didn't work at all
6. Using UMAX drivers
7. Using the connectivity patches from HP
8. Even tried the resolution that HP suggested on there site.
None of the above worked. I really need to find a solution soon or either get another scanner. Does anyone know what else I can try?