Is POWERSAVING freezing my system?
Posted on 2000-04-18
Under Windows 98 US Second Edition, I suspect the POWERSAVING application of freezing my system at regular intervals.
Every five or ten minutes, for a few seconds each time, the whole system stops responding, my MP3 player (and other sound-producers, like games) stutters the same fragment over and over... With a bit of patience, it passes and I can resume whatever I'm doing, but it's irritation while it lasts.
Killing POWERSAVING (Ctrl-Alt-Del, End Task) seems to help, but as I believe this to be my monitor power management app, I prefer not to have to kill it.
Other active background apps are:
- Iomon98 (PC-Cillin virus software)
- Webtrap (same)
- Hotkey32 (Asus display adapter system tray icon)
- Anything I'm running, but these are the only regulars
So the questions are:
- Is POWERSAVING the probable culprit?
- What causes the problem?
- Can the freezing problem be solved without killing POWERSAVING?
PS: Oh, one IMpossible culprit is Advanced Power Management Support - that device is not present on my system.