Install USRobotics External Sportster Faxmodem on NT 4
Posted on 2000-04-20
PC running Windows NT 4.0 Service pack 5
Intel 333Mhz Celeron processor
256 Megs of Memory
2 com ports:
com2 has a mouse on it
com1 is where I'm attempting to install the modem
USRobotics 56k Sportster Faxmodem with x2 External
What I've tried so far to get the os and modem working together:
1. Install in a normal manner (control panel, modems, general tab, add, and go through the wizard) NT could not detect my modem so I installed it by selecting from the list and installing the driver that is shipped with Windows NT 4 (3Com Corp. U.S. Robotics 56K FAX EXT). I also tried a driver downloaded from 3Com's web site but it was no better. Rebooted.
2. Went to control panel, ports, and removed all ports. Rebooted. Com1 was added back (I did not expect com2, where the mouse is located, to appear.) NT would not detect the modem and would not dial out when the modem was manually setup.
3. Changed the port settings to 3f8 base i/o and irq 4. Rebooted. NT still would not detect the modem and would not dial out when the modem was manually setup.
4. Went to control panel, Devices. Scrolled down to Serial, clicked Startup and changed it from Automatic to System. Rebooted. NT would not detect the modem and would not dial out when the modem was manually setup.
5. Replaced the data cable to the modem with one that I'm sure works. NT would not detect the modem and would not dial out when the modem was manually setup. Info: A phone is hooked up to the phone jack on the modem and I get a dial tone (on the phone).
6. Went into system BIOS setup. Changed IRQ 4 used by ISA to yes (was No/ICU). Still no luck detecting or dialing.
7. Used Internet Explorer's - Tools, Internet Options, Connections tab, Setup wizard. No better luck.
Finally some more info -
The modem was working on a Linux machine before I got it so I'm sure the modem itself works.
Yes, I am logged in as Administrator.
Thank you for any help you can provide.