I have a very annoying and troubling problem.
I have a perl script which calls a another cgi script from ups.com The script on ups.com just sends back a raw html stream which the perl script then parses, and writes out the results to a temp file on my server.
What is happening is about %80 of the time, the temp file is blank. I've tested the script on UPS.com and it never timed out once or sent back blank results once. So i dont think the problem is with ups.
What i really dont understand is why it works sometimes, and not other times. I would think it would either work, or not work, not both.
I dont think its a permissions problem on my server (NT4, IIS4, Service pack 5, latest version of perl from activestate) since if the permissions were wrong, the script would either not run, or not be able to write a temp file. but the script is defintely running, and its defintely writing a temp file. Its just writing them blank sometimes.
This script was working before. It stopped working when i replaced my server with a faster machine. So i can only assume something, somewhere, on the new machine isnt set correctly. But i have no clue what that might be.
I have a bulletin board system on the same machine thats all perl based and it seems to be working fine.
I REALLY need some help on this one, sine its been a problem for the last 2 days with no progress at all.
if anyone wants to look at the perl script, please let me know and i'd be more then glad to send it. its about 10k