Solved

Thread and program flow control

Posted on 2000-05-15
Last Modified: 2010-04-01
/*
I have a program that starts a bunch of threads after init.  The main program will pause its execution, and waits for the threads to finish.  Now, I can only think of a pooling loop to syn the program flow.  Is there a better way to avoid this busy pooling loop?
*/

public class ThreadTest {
  public static void main(String[] args) {

Thread[] dummies = new Thread[100];
    for(int i=0; i<100; i++)
      dummies[i] = new Thread(new DummyThread());

for(int i=0; i<100; i++)
      dummies[i].start();

//== Is there a better way to replace this pooling loop? ==
    boolean done = false;
    while(!done) {
      Thread.yield();
      done = true;
      for(int i=0; i<100; i++) {      
        if(dummies[i].isAlive()) {
        done = false;      
        break;
      }
      }       
    }
//=========================================================

System.out.println("Done");
  }
}

class DummyThread implements Runnable {
  private static int threadCount=0;
  private int threadID=++threadCount;

public void run() {
    for(int i=0; i<10; i++) {
      System.out.println ("Thread ID:" + threadID + "\t" + i);
      Thread.yield();
    }
  }
}
Comment
Question by:joey9394
4 Comments

LVL 3

Expert Comment

by:Laminamia063099
ID: 2811253
One way or another, I believe that you'll have to check to see if the threads are still alive.  If you know that each thread is going be terminated smoothly (ie. it won't be killed by another thread) then you can have an array of booleans.  Each thread would initialize it's member in the array to true when the thread starts, and would set it to false when it finished.  This way you wouldn't have to poll the threads, but would be able to poll the array instead.  Make this array an instance variable so that all threads can access it.

Good luck!

Laminamia :)

LVL 16

Accepted Solution

by:
imladris earned 50 total points
ID: 2811324
An alternative to a polling loop would be to use the join method. This method will block the caller until the thread finishes. So then you would get:

for(i=0; i<100; ++i)dummies[i].join();

Author Comment

by:joey9394
ID: 2811627
imladris,

Thanks a lot!!  

By the way, in my DummyThread class, do I need to put the threadID=++threadCount in a synchornized method, or it is ok now?

Many thanks.

LVL 16

Expert Comment

by:imladris
ID: 2811718
Yes. Access to any "global" variable needs to be guarded by synchronized access.

Featured Post

How to run any project with ease

Manage projects of all sizes how you want. Great for personal to-do lists, project milestones, team priorities and launch plans.
- Combine task lists, docs, spreadsheets, and chat in one
- View and edit from mobile/offline
- Cut down on emails

Join & Write a Comment

Suggested Solutions

Java Flight Recorder and Java Mission Control together create a complete tool chain to continuously collect low level and detailed runtime information enabling after-the-fact incident analysis. Java Flight Recorder is a profiling and event collectio…
Java functions are among the best things for programmers to work with as Java sites can be very easy to read and prepare. Java especially simplifies many processes in the coding industry as it helps integrate many forms of technology and different d…
Video by: Michael
Viewers learn about how to reduce the potential repetitiveness of coding in main by developing methods to perform specific tasks for their program. Additionally, objects are introduced for the purpose of learning how to call methods in Java. Define …
Viewers will learn about basic arrays, how to declare them, and how to use them. Introduction and definition: Declare an array and cover the syntax of declaring them: Initialize every index in the created array: Example/Features of a basic arr…

759 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question

Need Help in Real-Time?

Connect with top rated Experts

18 Experts available now in Live!

Get 1:1 Help Now